Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Little Book

A while ago I showed you this, to save going searching for the pictures I thought I would post them again,



Calico stitched to cotton wadding



Covered in Molding Paste



Black ink and too much bleach



more ink but the bleach kept working



Close up



More black ink and walnut ink



A spritz of Moonshadow Mist Tawny Turquoise.

This piece sat around like this for a while and this week I decided to make a little book.
I painted some pelmet vilene and stitched it to the back of the square, I then folded it in half corner to corner.



In my cupboard was a book on Titian, my son had bought it for me from a second hand bookshop while I was doing C&G as inspiration, It had large colour plates on each page and a description on the reverse, I decided it needed a new lease of life. I cut the pages into squares and gave the back of the page a quick paint with acrylic, ready to be decorated at a later date.



To finish off the pages I carefully burnt the edges with a small T-Light, making sure I had a wet cloth to stop the smouldering pages from burning too much.



I attached the pages with a simple stab stitch trapping a black bead on the outside.

12 comments:

Heather said...

What a difference molding paste, ink and bleach make. I got blocked images for the rest of your pics so can only imagine how lovely the final result is, with the addition of Moonshadow mist, etc.

Sandy said...

Hi Looking forward to seeing all of this. I can only see the 1st four photos. the others won't open.

I usually follow you though Planet Textile Threads. I appreciate seeing your work.

Sandy in Bracknell

Digitalgran said...

I love your little book Carol!

Heather said...

This was definitely worth coming back for - your book is beautiful. I have never used molding paste but really want to try it. Thankyou for being so generous and sharing this technique with us.

Doreen G said...

Very impressive Carol

Sandy said...

Oh, thanks so much for persevering with the photos! That is quite a special little book. I love the trangle shape. I love the contrast between the cover and the "fine historical art" images inside.

Can you explain what Molding Paste is?
Thanks,
Sandy in Bracknell

Pat said...

Beautiful Carol, it must be lovely to handle.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

This is fabulous, some really great techniques here. I want to have a go! The resulting book is wonderful, you've made a perfect job of it. I have a question - where did you get the Molding Paste? What is it/what is it's purpose? Sorry, to seem ignorant, I've never heard of it before. I like the picture where you've put the paste on, before adding ink and bleach ... ooooh you've got me all excited and inspired!

Have a great weekend, Carolyn :o)

sharon young said...

Fabulous book, Carol, I love the contrast of the textured cover with the fine art work of the paintings, great shape too!

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Wow; the fabric turned out so well, and your book is wonderful!

Alis Clair said...

What a wonderful little book Carol.
The texture and shape are fab!
Inspiration in bucket loads here, thank you.

Corinna Nitschmann said...

That is wonderful! Something nice for the heart made with love. Otherwise this texture inspirates me to felt something in such a style.

Best regards from Hungary
Corinna